Sunday, May 29, 2011

You’re on your own, and you know what you know. Oh the places you’ll go.


I can safely guarantee you I have not ever thought into such detail of my own identity as I have this week. To the point where I am pondering whether the oxford jumper and pyjama pants I am wearing while I type furiously on my iMac whilst at the same time coordinating a sneezing fit contribute to what I shall ascribe as my self selected identity. Who would have thought that these effortless decisions I make regularly contribute to the way I am seen and my identity? Yet it is through these few personal characteristics and choices I make which create my self selected image. I strongly believe that while there will always be inevitable imposed factors attributing to a sense of identity the way the human race achieves uniqueness is through the carefully selected decisions in life that form their image and as a result their identity.
I believe my identity has been modified over 20 years by factors such as my family life, being the youngest of three girls with my parents I have always had a very stable upbringing which has allowed me to grow and develop freely. Decisions I have made have led me to taking a year off and spending that time immersed in a completely different setting in England and making my way traveling through Europe experiencing everything from the Notre Dame in Paris to bed bugs in Prague! Yet of course in order to make these decisions there were obvious imposed identities on me those being a caucasian Australian female coming from a very privileged background. I think in this case it is important to consider During’s idea that ‘individuals differ as to the degree of intensity in which they connect to particular identities,’ there are hundreds upon thousands of people who would share the same demographics yet it is the ways in which we connect to these particularities that divide us. With a strong maternal Lebanese heritage along with thousands of other Sydney-siders one would not be quick to associate me with that heritage as I go against any preconceived ideas or stereotypes commonly associated with Lebanese people.
A few days ago I was shocked to find out that in order to commemorate their daughter’s generation her parents named her ‘Like’…if you haven’t already made the connection it is clear that there is something lacking in YOUR identity yet I was astounded yet not surprised as to the extent of the profound impact Facebook is having on our lives. Literally governing our decisions it is becoming a common basis of identity for many people leaving not much left to be discovered by others. It is this imposed identity formation that does make it difficult to sustain a self selected image. Hearn’s article, “Variations on the branded self,” reinforces this idea where websites such as Facebook foster a “detachable, sale image or narrative of self.” Personally I have come a long way in regards to my social networking. From the days when I would write essays ‘about me’ on my Myspace profile to now limiting every piece of information of myself on Facebook I like to keep people guessing. I make a conscious effort to not be a pretentious and downright annoying newsfeed ‘polluter’ so I only update my status on strictly funny, emotive, or interesting topics which I feel reflect a certain part of my identity.
All in all, identity is a huge concept which I really don’t think can be defined but it is to me the associations one makes with others and the way they reflect an image they would like others to see of themselves. The common understanding is that identity is imposed however I still strongly believe it is what we make of our imposed and given characteristics or demographics that help shape our ultimately self selected identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment